As I watched the Oscars last night, I couldn’t help but notice, to my utter delight, that Old Hollywood glamour reigned at this year’s Academy Awards. Many actresses walked the red carpet in strapless and one shouldered dresses reminiscent of Grace Kelly, Jean Harlow and Rita Hayworth. I’m so happy to see this classic look revived because I think some of the most beautiful evening wear in history came out of the 30s, 40s and 50s.
But my favorite overall was the gown Penelope Cruz wore to accept her Oscar for Best Supporting Actress in Vicky Christina Barcelona. A dreamy ivory embroidered Balmain gown from the 1950s that was fit for a princess. She fell in love with it eight years ago when she saw it at Lily et Cie, THE premier destination for couture vintage clothing, and vowed to wear it one day. Fortunately, for her, it was still available.
Here are some of my other favorite dresses that I think capture the retro glamour look nicely.
1. Kate Winslet, who always looks classy, is wearing a one shoulder Yves St Laurent dress.
2. Frida Pinto in royal blue beaded John Galliano gown.
3. Marion Cotillard wearing a strapless, belted Dior in black and blue.
4. Evan Rachel Wood’s Harlowesque Elie Saab gown in a champagne satin.
5. Another Elie Saab dress worn by Angelia Jolie. This designer excels at looks that epitomize the glamour of the golden era of Hollywood.
6. Sarah Jessica Parker’s pale green Dior gown is beautiful. But it would have looked much classier if she’s wasnt about to spill out of it!