The women’s rights movement in the 1920’s sparked a major fashion revolution. Young women rebelled against the restrictive garments that had been worn by their mothers and opted for loose fitting dresses that downplayed their curves. Of course, in the flapper era, wearing clothing that was easy to dance in was also a plus. Can’t exactly do Charleston kicks in tight fitting corsets and long gowns! And just like today, young women looked to celebrities for their fashion inspiration. Below are photos of some of the most famous fashionable flappers of the 20s stage and screen.
Clara Bow, the “It Girl”, wearing a stunning pleated, print dress. How about those adorable ankle socks with the heels? So much for thinking it was just an 80s thing!
Clara Bow in 1920s Dress
Headbands were very big back in the 1920s.
Clara Bow wearing Head Band
Mlle. Rhea was an actress and dancer in the 20s. Here she is with her handy dandy little garter flask. No self respecting prohibition era flapper would leave home without it! Note the Mary Jane pumps. Along with the T strap and Louis heel, it was an iconic shoe style of the era.
20's dancer Mlle. Rhea with her handy garter flask
Louise Brooks was the bad girl of the silver screen. She’s the actress who made the bobbed haircut famous. Her dropped waist dress and cloche hat were the height of fashion in the 1920’s.
Louise Brooks in fur trimmed coat, cloche hat and drop waist dress
You may think of Joan Crawford as a popular actress from the 40s, but here she is with Dorothy Sebastian and Anita Page in the 1928 film “Our Dancing Daughters”. Joan, along with Anita and Dorothy were the quintessential flapper girls!
Joan Crawford, Dorothy Sebastion, Anita Page
Photos of Clara Bow, Joan Crawford, Dorothy Sebastian, Anita Page courtesy of Cabonated’s Photostream on Flickr
If you love the fashion looks of the Jazz Era, are planning a 20s wedding or have a 20’s themed event to attend, then check out Blue Velvet Vintage for our dresses and accessories inspired by the fabulous fashions of the 1920’s!
20s inspired fashions
1. Nataya embroidered ivory tulle 20s style dress 2. Black satin T strap pumps
3. Black and silver T strap dress sandals 4. Black flapper style beaded lace dress
5. Ivory beaded 20’s reproduction flapper dress 6. Bronze beaded fringe evening bag
7. Deco style faux pearl and rhinestone bracelet 8. Nataya 20’s inspired ivory chiffon dress w/rose accent
9. Black beaded fringe reproduction flapper dress 10. White beaded fringed reproduction flapper dress
11. Beaded fringed black tulle shawl 12. Ivory cloche hat with lace and crystal trim