Fashion Flashbacks- 6 Trends from 1969 Reinterpreted for Spring 2016

Dior purple chiffon dress (left) Yves St Laurent Patchwork Skirt and sheer Blouse

1969-Dior purple chiffon dress & Yves St Laurent Patchwork Skirt & sheer Blouse

I’m always interested in seeing how designers reach back to the past for design ideas for their current collections. Of course, this has been going on for decades.  Recently I’ve seen 1980s inspired trends, which originally were influenced by the 1950s, 70s  inspired trends that were originally influenced by the 1930s and 40s, and now I’m seeing Victorian trends that were also popular in the late 60s.

For a while now designers have been enamoured with the styles of the 60s and 70s. So recently I was poking around on the internet to see what the fashion powers that be were showing for spring 2016.   And I noticed some some distinct similarities to the fashions shown in my March issue of Vogue 1969.     It’s fun reading a magazine from a specific month and year, then spotting the trends in their current iterations. Sort of a little fashion snapshot in time that can be used as a reference point if you wear vintage clothing and also want to be on trend. Also, comparing the latest trends to similar from the past often offers new styling ideas.

The slideshow below shows 6 runway trends for spring 2016,  examples of how designers then and now created, and then recreated, these looks!

Which trend would you most likely incorporate into your spring wardrobe?

xoxo

Theresa

By | 2016-03-21T08:45:14-04:00 March 21st, 2016|Fashion|6 Comments

About the Author:

Theresa
Hi, I'm Theresa, owner and chief classy dame at the Blue Velvet Vintage online boutique. Lover of mid century fashion and home decor, classic films, Old Hollywood, pretty dresses, red lipstick, swing dancing and retro culture in general. Between my ecommere site and vintage style blog my mission is to revive the eras of classy dressing and inspire women to add more glamour to their lives! So don't be shy! I love to hear from others who share my appreciation of the styles of the past.

6 Comments

1. Theresa Campbell
    Theresa Campbell March 25, 2016 at 12:26 pm

Hey Vicki! Scarves are fun to wear and collect. You can still find some really cool vintage ones in thrift stores for under 5.00, which means you can never have too many!

2. Avatar
    Vicki March 25, 2016 at 12:23 pm

Boho is my favorite look. And though I love the new styles, I definitely could picture myself in some of those from the late 60s. And I really am happy scarves are back in. They’re so fun and a great and easy way to dress up an outfit.

3. Theresa Campbell
    Theresa Campbell March 23, 2016 at 4:06 pm

Thanks Jessica! Hope it’s getting a little warmer up there for you. I do love the boho looks and though I tend to wear a lot of 40s, 50s and early 60s styles, I am keen to start incorporating more of this late 60s/early 70s look into my wardrobe. I particularly like the maxi skirts and dresses for hiding my pasty white legs when I don’t have time for self tanner! And the the statement rings are fabulous. I wish I owned everyone in that Vendome ad 🙂

4. Avatar
    Jessica Cangiano March 22, 2016 at 5:22 pm

Splendid post! It’s statement rings and boho attire all the way for me. I’ve long held that if I didn’t wear vintage garb nearly all the time, my wardrobe would be a complete mix of goth and boho styles, as both appeal to me immensely and are ones that I’ve worn, and still wear, throughout my life.

Have a fantastic first week of spring,
    ♥ Jessica

5. Theresa Campbell
    Theresa Campbell March 21, 2016 at 12:28 pm

It sure does!Stand to reason, though. IMO, the older styles were better than most anything new 🙂

6. Avatar
    Suzanne March 21, 2016 at 11:10 am

This was so interesting! What goes around certainly does come around, time and time again.

bisous