Another summer season has rolled around, and with it, the opportunity to go to fun outdoor vintage themed events, like a Roaring 20s Lawn Party!
Parties and weddings with a 1920s theme are still going strong since movies and tv shows like the Great Gatsby, Downton Abbey, Boardwalk Empire and Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries have captured the public’s imagination. The combination of art deco glamour and Prohibition Era decadence is irisistible!
There are some major Roaring 20s themed outdoor events taking place this summer. So if you are close to any one of these venues or plan on taking a trip, I highly recommend attending, as they make for a memorable experience.
Jazz Age Lawn Party, Governor’s Island, N.Y. -August 13 & 14th.
Roaring Twenties Lawn Party at the Crane Estate, Ipswich, Ma.- July 31st.
Jazz Age on the Delaware at the Glen Foerd Estate, Philadelphia, Pa. – July 30th
But whether you’re planning on attending one of the events above or some other 1920s outdoor party , you don’t necessarily want to run out to a costume shop and buy some generic fringed flapper dress. Jazz Era lawn parties call for a more informal, feminine, elegant look. Think Mia Farrow as Daisy Buchanan in the 1974 version of the Great Gatsby.
You’re going for a look similar to these ladies from 1925
TIPS ON DRESSING FOR A 1920S LAWN PARTY
- The dress-If you can find yourself an authentic 1920s day dress that’s in wearable condition, that fits you, and is within your budget, then snag it for sure. They are not easy to find. I’ve been looking for months for one to wear to the event I’m attending this summer and have yet to find something, and I’m in the vintage clothing business! So it’s very likely you’ll have to find a new 20s inspired dress.
- Fabrics-Since you’ll be outside in the heat and very likely sitting on a picnic blanket, playing croquet or dancing, comfort is key. But you still want to look glamorous. So for fabrics look for filmy, flowy and/or lightweight in whites, ivory, pastel colors and prints in chiffon, lace, linen, cotton, or silky rayons.
- Style Elements– Look for dresses with layers, tiers, assymetrical or handkerchief hems, dropped waists, sailor collars, ties at necklines.
- Headwear – Either a cloche or wide brimmed hat or a pretty headband with feathers, beading or flowers.
- Purse– You probably won’t want to lug around a large purse. Plus it wouldn’t go with the era. Look for a smallish beaded, fringed or needlepoint purse that matches your outfit and will fit your phone and/or camera, lipstick, sunscreen, sunglasses, money.
- Shoes-Usually you’ll be walking on grassy areas, so you don’t want to be wearing your stilettos! Go for lower heeled Mary Jane or T strap style shoes.
- Stockings– Most gals don’t wear stockings in the summer. But if you’re going for a more authentic 20s look , you could go with nude color fishnet stocking or pantyhose or white stockings rolled down just below the knee like a true flapper!
- Jewelry– Strands of pearls or a beaded tassel necklace. Multi strand pearl bracelet.
- Other Accessories
Gloves, preferably white or ivory, crocheted or lace
Long skinny scarf to tie around your neck.
Some sort of coverup in case it gets cool. Look for fringed wraps or kimono style jackets, crocheted or mesh shawls.
Flower corsage to pin on your dress.
Here’s a 20s Lawn Party style board I put together using a dress from our website.
And here are some cute dresses we just got in that would also work for a Roaring Twenties Lawn Party.
- Cream crochet lace with applique 2 pc dress
2. Cream crochet lace 3pc outfit with tulle skirt
3. Cream crochet lace and micropleat chiffon 2pc set
- Dusty blue tiered tulle dress
2. Slate blue tulle 20s inspired dress
3. Sage green tulle 20s inspired dress